PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nanny mode will cause an accident?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2018, 10:48
Vans Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger Nanny mode will cause an accident?

Ok so whilst flying a DA62 the other day I rolled the aircraft past 45 degrees of bank. The autopilot began pushing the stick back towards the centre. Pushing the CWS button over rode this and allowed me to turn as steeply as I wanted but the alarming thing was the autopilot engaged without command in ROL and ALT hold modes. Depressing both red buttons on the stick would not disengage it and neither would selection of the AP button on the panel. I found the only way of disconnecting the autopilot is by pressing the FD button....... I am told that this is normal? Normal for an autopilot to be selected without command and also a struggle to disconnect?

Yesterday in a King Air with similar avionics I wondered if the same thing would happen (Garmin G1000 NXi) and the aircraft did exactly the same thing!

Surely this cant be right?

I assume Garmin think that they are making a contribution to safety by such a feature?

Questions for me are:

Is this a matter of time before an accident will occur where an inexperienced pilot is focused on trying to disconnect the autopilot? Not easy, took me a while!

What about teaching people to fly properly in the first place to avoid such Nanny devices?