PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comair Flies Low
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2003, 20:21
George Tower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still not convinced

I have to say its frustrating trying to book stuff in SA using a British credit card - my guess is that's something to do with either foreign exchange regulations or trying to charge johnny foreigner more money.

THH

I suppose you have a point if you want to base yourself on Ryanair - For an airline with more planes than SAA their customer service department consists of two people neither of whom you can talk to. Pilots have to pay £50 for the privaledge of submitting their CV. Times are hard and Ryanair have certainly used the excuse to chop their overheads - will be interesting to see what happens in 5 years time when air travel picks up and the large number of 50 year old pilots start retiring.

So would do you propose to pay the pilots less, the cabin crew and engineers less? What do you propose to do about recurrent training? Give me an example of what Kulula is paying for and not using?

So far you haven't identified what other routes you have earmarked for Kulula. I reckon they could look at serving Windhoek and Bloemfontein. But again returning to my initial point - in the last three years they had 1x 727 doing one route now they fly five routes with increased frequencies and have a more modern fleet.

I think one of the key factors in Comair/Kulula growth will be what the SA Government decide to do with SAA. At the moment it must be remembered that Comair/Kulula's main opposition is a loss making state monolith being supported by the SA tax payer which is hardly fair competition but SAA is whole new hornets nest.