PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement Age for Pilots
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2018, 08:32
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Age is personal, it depends on the individual. Call that an old Theory of Relativity...

Age remains an area of discrimination, and of course is controversial where seniority systems exist where there is no expansion underway. Downunder, I am not certain that there has been any real effect on age extensions that have happened over 30 years, and finally resulting in the removal of all age limits as is the case in NZL. In AUS, the regionals are having difficulties in filling cockpit seats, which says as much about terms and conditions, but there is a shortage, and we have been effective as an industry in removing incentive for people to take up the "profession".

The EU and China, as well as the USA will take a long time to alter their position, but as has been suggested, we do not see a significant age related risk occurring in the industry where age has been raised or removed as a constraint.

For those that can retire early, well played, other players may have had a different outcome, but most would be happy to be sitting on the dock fishing if they could, except for the few that remain enthusiasts who haven't had the industries continuous race to the bottom turn their outlook to a bilious jaundiced view of the world around them, yet.

Ultra long haul at 70 sounds like hell, but smacking around regional space & time sounds appealing. Right now, I'm barrelling around at low level at high speed because there is no one else crazy enough to do the job. As much fun now as when I did it in camo 40 years ago. Age is a personal thing.