PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American 763 takeoff incident, ORD
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2018, 19:01
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sherburn2LA
I too frequently occupy a 737 exit row. As said several times above cabin crew usually any stress opening the door and nobody will be here to help. Partly because I am a PPL smartarse and partly because I think it is relevant I sometimes say out loud for others to hear - don't open the door if there is fire outside.
This is an issue I have raised before, these days SLF around 4 flights a week. Almost all pax in window seats immediately close the blinds - that is if the flight attendants on the previous flight haven't asked for them to be closed as the aircraft approaches the gate 'to keep the aircraft cool.'

In consequence it is almost always like riding in a freighter with no view out at all. In an emergency, especially one where the aircraft hit something and is distorted so blinds are jammed it may not be possible to see if there is a hazard that side of the aircraft.

BY all means as soon as the aircraft is airborne close the blinds but it seems to be that the pax are less safe if they and the FAs have no idea what is going on outside the aircraft.

Last edited by Ian W; 8th Feb 2018 at 09:23.