PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2018, 15:24
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
African-American, anyway.

My father was in the Navy during the Second World War, but he stayed in the States. At one time he was doing ferry-flying, mostly taking clapped out warplanes for heavy maintenance.

One day he and a buddy had a pair of Culver Cadets, little planes that the Navy mainly used as target drones, but which could also be hand-flown when they had to get them from A to B: https://www.skylighters.org/photos/pow01242000.html

Anyway, they were out there in Boondocks, USA, somewhere in the rural South, pretty bored with these little putt-putts when they were usually flying Hellcats. To keep things interesting they were hedge-hopping, flat-hatting, flying as low as possible.

They popped over a windbreak and surprised a local African-American plowing with a mule in the adjoining field.

My father said that when they looked back the mule was going in one direction and the plowman was going in the other, both at high speed.

If I "learned about flying from that" it must have been the wrong lesson, but whatever it was it did come in handy in Africa now and then.