PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2018, 11:50
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neo, are you sure of what you are using there?

Is your laptop bright red, with two big white knobs and "Etch A Sketch" in gold italic script across the top edge? That might be your problem. Otherwise, try holding down "alt" and hitting the "u" to see what happens. I bet it gives you that umlaut. If that doesn't work just stick an e on there; you can't go wrong with ae, oe, and ue if you can't generate ä, ö, and ü.

This mention of German reminds me of a fellow we got in Lagos to fly the Dornier, a German of course. (Since they built it, only they really knew how to fly it.) He soon became a bit bored with life in the tropics so that he decided to go for a stroll one day, into the Police Air Wing hangar, the one right next to the Bristow hangar. (He was wearing his tropical kit then, a tee-shirt, shorts and flip-flops, going incognito I guess.)

So he went in there and wandered around a bit under the gaze of the armed police guard. He looked at the wrecked Schweizer and he looked at the two Bell 222s in about a hundred pieces each, and he looked at the old Bell 47 (the only helicopter they had that still was intact at one time later ... and then he touched one of the helicopters, which is what that guard had been waiting for. So he ended up "Undah arress! By ordah!" when someone had to go over and ransom him. Mrs. Whitehead, probably, because she had a certain way about her ....

After that I think he left, back to Germany. He was unhappy anyway, having to operate the Dornier into the short strip at the Port Harcourt NAF Base. We were still using Warri Air Strip with our Twotters, so that I could not see what his problem was with 5, 800 feet or whatever it was. Maybe he was trying to land sideways? You could do that with a Twotter, if the wind was right.

From that we developed a new game, "Touch the Helicopter." I even wrote it up and put the rules on the BRC notice board. Basically, the less you wore, the more you scored, so that the ultimate would have been to get in and out of the Police Air Wing hangar stark bollock naked, without even that big watch that lets everyone know that you are an aviator. No official Dornier hat with the scrambled eggs, nothing. Nobody was willing to play the game with me, though, and I just could not see the point to doing it all by myself, especially because I had a reasonable suspicion that Colyn would probably have told the Nigeria Police, "Just keep him; he's your problem now."