PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 Upgrade/Refurbishment
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2018, 10:34
Slatye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wokingseller123
2. Can one buy 2nd hand Garmin 1000 glass panels and if so how muc do they typically cost? (I want to propose we rather do this).
The challenge is finding someone who's removing a Garmin G1000. Not many people doing that; what would they fill the huge gap in the panel with? I suppose you might find someone who did a wheels-up landing and is scrapping the plane, but that's not exactly common.

Apart from that, the saving is not normally very large for expensive avionics like a G1000. A few thousand dollars cheaper than buying new is common; you're not going to be picking up a G1000 for $10,000. Installation will be very expensive too, and may require other upgrades (eg. will the G1000 talk to the existing autopilot? If not, add $40K+ to your budget for a GFC 700).

3. If we repaint would it be crazy to suggest 'hivis yellow' as it will make the aircraft very visible and improve safety - I will rather have a very visible aircraft than a beautiful colour scheme that is less visible!!
You can suggest it, but I doubt everyone else in the syndicate will agree. In practical terms, unless you spend a lot of time flying over snow, white is going to stand out just fine.

4. Can a ballistice parachute be retrofitted to a PA28 and if so how much roughly?
I'm sure you could get one retrofitted, but I suspect that buying a Cirrus would be cheaper.