PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Refuelling near thunderstorms
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2003, 09:40
Chocks Away

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PHF... you've gotta learn to be calm when reading material, otherwise you mis-interpret. (Probably comes with maturity)

My claim of being "from memory" was explaning the source of what I was writing, until I obtained better. It wasn't a jab at you.

Let us pray...
Now the FACTS:
CASE 3 : FEB 18, 2002
Another Mobile Phone Ignition
Reported via BP Oil UK of another mobile phone appearing to have caused ignition of a flammable atmosphere.
Engineer working on an open panel that used Supply Gas Instrumentation, recieved an incoming call on his Nextel Mobile Phone. When he flipped it open to answer the call, a flash fire occured, causing Second Degree burns to his forearms and reddening of his nose and cheeks.
As a result Chevron Texaco USA have instructed a ban on mobile phone use, in the field.
Fortunately, the man concerned was wearing Safety Glasses preventing any eye injury.
Author: Jim Swartz, Main Pass 41 Asset Team.

Further details on Cases 1 and 2 are still being sort, as I have a life.

I wouldn't expect the AMTA to say anything different. Like Dan Kelly mentioned previously, vested interests given it's their income/industry.

Your 2001 report on Wireless ignitions is abit outdated.
Technology and the power of data/mobile transmissions has changed somewhat, in the past 2 years!

The big "Urban Legend" reference, WOW... you know it's a trash site for sceptics. If thats your bible being a sceptic and not following rules, you're in the wrong profession kid.

Telecommunication experts also claim that no damage is caused to the brain from mobile phones... you are an obvious example, proving that theory wrong.

Who said anything about Preaching, also. This was a FACTUAL reply to the question of refuelling with Lightning/Storms. The answer is still 10km.

Finally, only three things are needed to create a fire: Heat, Fuel and Air.
Now when you are actively surrounded by two of them already and are unsure what a mobiles' tranmissions are capable of, wouldn't it be wise to err on the side of safety and FOLLOW THE RULES?

Here endeth the lesson.
Let us pray