PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Latest Act of Desperation
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2018, 13:07
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Trafalgar
I believe this is what MM was referring to:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ed-pilots.html

It's a 1000, and only addresses the 'growing shortage' in the US Military. So MM, not quite correct, but the point you make is valid. The shortage is getting more and more acute, and will only get worse. Not sure why you seem so exercised by this iflylow. I suspect you never made it in the US majors, and just have a bit of a chip regarding anyone who does, particularly the idea of someone from another country. Remember, after all the WW2 vets were hired, the US majors needed many more pilots for their great expansion in the 1960's, and were able to hire from overseas. So not quite sure where your certainty it would never happen again comes from. Simply put, you have no idea. Oh, btw, all the other facts mentioned by MM are correct.

Traf,

This is the first paragraph of the article:

"The Trump administration is giving the Air Force the option to return through voluntary programs as many as 1,000 retired pilots to active-duty service, the Pentagon announced."

I'd be surprised to see retired USAF pilots voluntarily leave their legacy airline job to return to service and fly a desk.

As I recall, the USAF decided not to exercise that option...or if they did it was just a handful and not 1,000. I can't find the article stating that but am pretty sure of it.

The National Guard and Reserve pilots currently on airline seniority lists may be called up to active duty for periods of time (and have as long as I can remember) but WILL return to their airline careers...I can promise you that !

In any case, this issue involves insignificant numbers of pilots.