PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Latest Act of Desperation
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2018, 10:58
Air Profit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you have asked your questions in a polite and dignified manner, I will endeavor to clarify. All of the US major airlines have been in discussion with the Department of Homeland Security (Immigration) to advise and caution that over the coming years they will have trouble satisfying their requirement for suitably qualified pilots to satisfy their retirement (UA, approx 65% in the next 7 yrs, similar in most majors) and expansion needs. A simple demographic analysis clearly proves that fact. Further, the US Govt will only need to add pilot to the list of approved employer needed skills (such as doctor and nurse as examples) that are then granted green cards (immigration status) to enable them to move to the US and become employed by US carriers. Many professions have that status already (as mentioned above). I am not sure why this idea gets the yanks so upset? It can only happen if they can't source the required aircrew domestically. This date is still two to three years out. Don't forget, they are already doing this on behalf of the commuter airlines that can't find enough pilots now (some have already shut down due to no pilots). To argue that somehow this will never happen is absurd, as none of us can predict how this situation will evolve (and I am only relaying info, not stating the outcome). As I said, the above info is from the head of training for one of the US majors. He is obviously more in the loop than any of us.