PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Latest Act of Desperation
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2018, 08:07
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Air Profit and MM,

I'll take another run at my questions since the subject interests me and historical perspective might be germane to whatever the future holds...and you guys seem to have some information on the subject:

You both mentioned that US carriers have actively solicited foreign nationals back in the 60s, I'm assuming with government assistance with visas, etc. I can't dispute what you're saying but can you provide the history of those events and a list of the airlines (or a link to such history) ?

[green card holders don't count]

AP, you mentioned the comments by your friend at a US legacy training department but didn't fill in the context of his remarks. Did he say the airlines have now formally approached the US kackistocracy to lobby for leeway on visas for foreign nationals to come fly for legacies...or were they just pondering the possible need to do that in the future ? There's a rather large difference between those two cases.

There's no particular reason why people would take the trouble to follow the recruiting/hiring situation here in the US but I do. If the US legacies (who are keenly aware of the retirement attrition) are sweating bullets over future pilot supply, they have a VERY odd way of demonstrating it.

You'd be stunned at the qualifications of the legions of people who can't even get an interview with a career-destination carrier and/or the ones interviewed and turned away. Just getting an interview is a huge hurdle.

Under current hiring attitudes, anyone rolling in with a fat logbook of WB time and thinking the US carriers will fall at their feet might be in for a real surprise.

I wonder how the HR types will feel about their previous "rejects" when they really need to fill seats (the legacy bell curve peaks in 2028). I'm looking forward to seeing that happen.

As for US pilots being a little irked at the prospect, I suppose your reaction might be similar if a bunch of Americans rolled into the UK legacy world and set up shop. Just kinda human nature.