PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - maintaining the course
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2018, 19:34
rarelyathome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jhieminga
Indeed I did, as I have found that this is the bit that turns out to be the most helpful to many students. In the end, there are several approaches to navigating around the skies in a small aircraft and it is up to the thread starter to take away what he needs and/or feels comfortable enough with to use in his lessons. I would also strongly recommend a chat with his instructor about this before the next navigation lesson. Many instructors have a favourite method that they use and/or teach, but coordinating beforehand which method will be used/practiced is always useful. I for one am always interested in learning new techniques and it won't be the first time that a student will come up with something new or different, providing me with another tool in my bag of tricks.

For more about the 1:60 rule, see here: 1 in 60 rule - please explain!
I learned using the 1:60. I teach the SCA for a good reason. NM off track, turn 40 deg (for most PPL training ac) L or R for the number minutes corresponding to the number of NM off track, turn back on heading. Reassess if its wrong again and again and you are convinced you are flying accurately - either wind or DI alignment and correct as appropriate. What could be simpler?