PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fancy rejoining....
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2018, 16:22
NutLoose

Received 2,851 Likes on 1,219 Posts
I cannot argue against that, the bullet proof service that was once promised dissapeared with the emergence of forced redundancies and the targeting of some individuals approaching pension age, at that point it simply became another job without the "protection" it previously had. As far as I was concerned a 9, 12, 22 year contract in my eyes was just that, a contract between two parties cast in stone, from our point of view terminating of that early often proved difficult or impossible, the way it is now it appears the UK PLC have thrown that in the bin and you can be gone on a whim.

Silly thing was before I left I told the then AOC that retention is going to be your biggest problem and the time is coming when you will regret getting rid of people.... I do hope he is reading this, because he did not believe me.

Back to would you rejoin... Allowing for health, 10-15 years ago possibly yes, now..... They couldn't afford me, nor give me any incentive to do so, financial or otherwise, as far as I am concerned my skill set is far greater now than an RAF engineering officer and I should imagine the same goes for any ex RAF engineers now licenced.

Vin, a lot of the positions are for crewmen, not a lot of civi calling for them.

RAF engineering training as good as it is, constantly gets dumbed down, to the point it is today, it is fine for a narrow targeted product, but out in the real world, the wider skills are no longer there, and you don't know how much it pains me to say that.

Last edited by NutLoose; 5th Feb 2018 at 08:35.