PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fancy rejoining....
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2018, 15:26
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
I cannot see why we do not have an RAF reserve that includes an air element as the US has and that could be used to take up some of the slack, that way when they leave they could commit to XYZ hours per year to keep them current.

You wont get many takers. As long as the airlines are offering 500-700 GBP a day for non-standby tasking and cancelled leave days, why would people want to come back in whilst MoD infra is literally falling down around their ears?

Plus, with most LH and SH pilots now flying 750+ hours per year of their 900 EASA limit, it doesnt leave much flex for CT, checks and then productive service... I think a model whereby the ammortised cost of a service person (pension,medical, CCS, accommodation) is rolled into a civ salary, you may get people more interested in the role. Until then, you are not going to retain with the Saudis offering 125K+ (Tax free) for FJ QFI, and the shorthaul airlines offering not much less (albeit pre taxed) after 4 years as a skipper on a 320/737 to live in not the arse end of Wales. Many airline pilots are now regularly taking between 60 to 80% contracts, I dont suspect there will be much interest in free time being taken up by signing up for reservist T+C's.

No stress, no admin wing bollotics, no CCS/fitness test/email bollockings for someone elses cock up, no constant erosion of T+C's and potential changing of pensions goalposts in the future. No turn the training pipeline on max, then make 150 pilots you have worked your guts for get made redundant. Until the MoD wake up to the 25% pay rise that the civilian aviation market has received in the past 10 years, things will not change.

I think a hard look at 70/80/90% contracts would be of value, rather than lose someone and gain them back as a reservist, why not keep them on a part time contract basis?

Those that are leaving to take desk jobs outside are typically living south of Brum, Bristol (ABW) or the smog. The commute to the North/Lincolnshire gap and the fact most leave as they dont want to set foot in an aircraft again will rule these chaps out as well.

I think the comments above are succinct in pointing out that peeps should be happy with their own lot, pride in service, love of what they do, which should be a primary driver of anyones decision. But the flip side of that is no-one should be criticized for leaving as a result of falling short of AFPS 75 Grandfather rights and deciding that loyalty is a 2 way highway. I personally have loved my service and hope to continue to do so, however, I think most who will have served in the past decade/15 years will have enough fill of the military experience (particularly the more punchy stuff) to be fulfilled for a very long time; I suspect this is the biggest "soft" reason we now have for an issue with retention and one that will be exceptionally difficult to solve.

Last edited by VinRouge; 4th Feb 2018 at 16:13.