PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2003, 06:07
GROUNDHOG

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Greetings from the far west of Cornwall and one of its 'taxpayers'.

Here are a few facts.

the dude speaks the truth, those that control the airport pursestrings shouldn't be suprised a new carrier isn't paying mlanding fees, but surely this is an interim situation. Do the new owners know the airport will be for sale in 2005?

Plymouth and Exeter are east of the Taimar and therefore not in the West Country. Bristol is bl**dy miles away.

Cornwall does not revolve around Newquay, 99% of surfers drive vans and cars they do not fly on Ryanair. They have always been here - though the popularity has increased. The few whinging residents of Newquay are the same ones who own the bars, restaurants, taxi's, campsites that are happy to take their cash. They are the few.

The passengers that fly down here are either business, vfr or leisure ( many second home owners). Cornwall has more than beaches and a great way of life to attract them down.... Eden project, Maritime Museum, Minnack Theatre... how long have you got.

Rick Stein has had a big influence on Padstow (and property prices there) but I doubt the residents of Redruth or Camborne have felt much of his influence.

Would I pay money to keep St Mawgan open ... NO! Switch all the flights to Culdrose, develop Truro or Perranporth. ( both of which the Council have rejected so far)

Would I pay money to maintain an air service to Cornwall.... YES!

Finally if anyone from St Mawgan reads this.... think about engineering companies. freight services, a private jet centre, storage etc after all there is a lot of money around for attracting business to these regions!!