PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - maintaining the course
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 22:33
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Navigation

There are as many navigation techniques as there are proponents of them. Nubboy, Beagle will be thrilled to see you advocating SCA. I do not teach this myself though.

I'm dismayed to read some sloppy suggestions that advocate changing heading a little bit here and a little bit there. Studies show that one reason pilots become lost is doing just that. It is critical that the pilot is taught a simple technique that allows reasoning, and will support them, if/when under stress and unable to confirm their position or lost.

Whatever the technique taught it should NOT be over demanding. It must be possible for the pilot to relax and fly accurately the preplanned/revised heading; wings level and in balance for at least 8-10 minute periods.

Jhieminga you have described a calculation using the 1:60 rule, not the rule itself, a common mistake and so not helpful.

Flying feature to feature (feature crawling) is risky although sounds simple. Until you arrive at the next feature you cannot know it is the place you thought it was and therefore be miles off track and lost.

indyaachen what is the technique your instructor is teaching you, or more likely by the sounds of it, trying to teach you? I'm loath to comment further without having the full information.