PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question please to all you ATC professionals
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 07:57
Bergerie1

Received 51 Likes on 20 Posts
A question please to all you ATC professionals

Now long retired, I write aviation short stories as a means of brain therapy - it helps to keep the 'little grey cells' active!

I used to fly 747s in the 1980s and was qualified to do C of A test flights. The story I am starting on now, involves a normal test flight which goes wrong when, at FL150 out over the North Sea, they test the flap load relief system and a flap track breaks. The consequence of this is that an inboard flap nearly comes off, leaving them with significant control problems.

My mythical airline is called British North Atlantic Airlines, based at Gatwick. After take off, they fly north and leave controlled airspace at Brookmans Park to start their tests under military radar. When they have their problem they need to return but, as the flap section might break off at any time when passing over London, they decide to land at Bedford instead.

So my questions are:-
1. Between airways Red One and Blue One what would the call sign be for ATC radar - would it be London Radar or London Military?
2. If they require to fly further north and obtain clearance to cross Blue One, where would they need to change frequency, and to whom?
3. After declaring a 'Pan' call, do you think Bedford would accept them?

My memory fails when trying to remember some of these details, so I am posting this here in the hope that some of you retired ATCOs may be able to help.

I look forward to your replies.