PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 07:45
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a great write-up, Lepo and I know it will help any potential AJXer. I'm sorry you didn't get through but you're correct that it is normally the sim check where people fall down. The checker was correct in what he said. Once you get slow, especially on one engine, it requires a lot of power to get back (from the 'backside' as they like to call it) and that can often then destabilise the approach. It seems a bit harsh to fail you for that when it's your first attempt at flying the thing but I don't think we'll ever understand the decisions of some of the selectors.

One thing I would like to clarify is your advice regarding 'check'checked':

3 - This is also not on the guidance they send you, but they want you to say "checked" for every callout the PM says. So it's not only on the 80kt callout, but also on the V1/Rotate/V2, FMA announcements, approaching minimums, minimus, 1 dot to final approach course (on the vor approach), glide slope alive and etc. You have to say "checked" for whatever the PM says. They like that. So remember to put that on your chair/mental flight too.
They certainly like the word but definitely not used on V1/Rotate/V2. FMA announcements are the FMA announcements; so both pilots will say "Alt Cap", for instance, not "check/ed". "Approaching minimums"-"Check/ed". "Minimums" - "Landing/Go-Around". One dot is fine but "Glideslope alive" etc are a repeat of "Glideslope alive".

I, personally, can't believe they can be picky about details like that when you don't yet work for the company and they're not your SOPs. It does show that you've put the time in and they love a bit of studying but they really do have a firm grasp of the inconsequential. I don't know why I'm even surprised, you would have thought I'd have learnt by now 😲

I think the rest of your report was great and I'm SO glad you managed to pick up on the absolutely ESSENTIAL call of "left side in cloud"