PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does CASA allow twin engine ETOPS operation at all?
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 07:44
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Car RAMROD
Well why don't you collect evidence and challenge them?
He won't, because the evidence that ETOPS twins are less safe than quads doesn't exist.
It was not to improve safety over four engined aircraft. Not once has anyone claimed that is was to increase safety. If that was so they would say so
Again, demonstrably false. To obtain ETOPS approval, Boeing submitted several analysis to the FAA and EASA (JAA in those days) showing ETOPS twins were at least as safe as quads. I have first hand knowledge of this. I presume Airbus did something similar.
You're arguing based on emotion, not facts. The facts say that ETOPS twins are at least as safe as quads.
Bottom line is your gut tells you four engines are safer than two. Facts say otherwise. Emotion once said "if man was meant to fly, he'd have wings" Fortunately enough people listened to the facts that said otherwise. Regulations based on emotions instead of facts usually kill people.
Dick, you just go on and continue arguing that two plus two equal five. Just don't expect the rest of us to play your silly game - I'm tired of arguing with a fool and I'm out of here.