PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson Safety Courses
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2003, 01:33
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Use of WD-40 on rotorblades.

To: headsethair

Mr Zuckerman: The process using WD40 is recommended by Robinson for use only on the R22 blade and only in the manner they proscribe. I would suggest that you don't post on this subject unless you have RHC approval - and I'm sure the manufacturers of WD40 would love to have a word with you.
I contacted the WD-40 company and asked the following question: I have a few questions regarding WD-40. Can it be sprayed on helicopter rotorblades? Will the penetrating capabilities combined with the petroleum distillates cause problems on chemically bonded surfaces? Does WD-40 have approval from the FAA for any applications?

Here is their response: the FAA has not approved WD-40 for any use and we don't recommend WD-40 on the rotor blades due to the unknown effects.

I would strongly suggest that Pat Cox reconsider his instructions at the safety school and make it known to his past students to not use WD-40 on the blades or any other part of the helicopter.

If anything happened Robinson could be held liable and if the WD-40 Company were brought into the lawsuit they could also sue Robinson.