PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF to scrap twin-seat Typhoons
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2018, 15:00
EAP86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarnished
A huge expense in EVER having a twin seat version in the first place. It was only done because no one had the guts or the hard evidence to prove that the synthetics would be good enough to meet the modern safety case.
I'm guessing from your PPRUNE name that you may recall that during design and development EF was forbidden from referring to the twin seat version as a "trainer". The 2 seater always struck me as an odd requirement given the fidelity of modern simulation and the additional costs involved. I wondered whether it might have been that some senior officers were concerned about aircrews' ability to live the aircraft's performance from an aeromedical perspective. Some IAM people did hold opinions on this 'risk' causing some annoyance in the industry TP population. I think history shows that the risk wasn't very real.

EAP

PS as an aside to all, my Google lookup defines 'stochastic' as "having a random probability distribution or pattern that may be analysed statistically but may not be predicted precisely" which works quite well for me.