PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement Age for Pilots
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2018, 13:24
DuctOvht

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denti,

My mistake, it was Bealzebub I was quoting. Sorry. I’ve edited the post.

That said, you’ll note in the post of mine you quoted that I said “They were still able to go on and fly elsewhere until the age of 65 which is the point at which they could no longer hold a medical for commercial ops”. I’m aware you can fly whatever you want privately, but that’s not what we’re talking about.

In light of the above I’ll make this my last comment as I feel like I’m repeating myself. In response to the ‘why not?’ questions my point once more is this;

We all knew/know that as far as commercial ops are concerned 65 is your lot, as the licencing authorities have deemed that’s as far as you can go for medical reasons. I very much plan to be done at 65, if not before. For me to do so, my DC pension pot needs my career to pan out as I expect it to. I’m not expecting a command tomorrow, but at some point in the future, yes.

Hypothetically, everything suddenly changes, and the time to command (and projected earnings) that were based on other people retiring at 65 are now based on absolutely nothing, as people can go on until they drop. Assuming a good number of people choose to go on beyond 65 for whatever reason, that leaves me with no option but to carry on working too, potentially into my 70’s. Do I want to be doing a command course in my early 60s? Hell no.

The whole concept of a change like this, and the effect it will have on people further down the ‘foodchain’ is just ridiculous. I hope it never happens.

Last edited by DuctOvht; 1st Feb 2018 at 19:16.