PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In Service Mental Health
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2018, 09:05
Rasputin412

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left the RAF about 2 years ago after more than 2 decades of service. The job I left for fell through, so I moved overseas with my family. It was very costly and used up all our savings - I even had to take a loan out to pay for the move. Because I was overseas, I could not access the usual Mental Health services / charities via your civilian GP or other groups in the UK. A private counsellor out here would charge 100 pounds an hour to discuss my money worries! Thanks for that. That is when I found out about Help For Heroes Hidden Wounds. helpforheroes.org.uk/get-support/mental-health-and-wellbeing/hidden-wounds-service/

I cannot rate them highly enough. They offered counselling via Skype so it was free of charge. Thank God! They even offer the service to spouses who are having to put up with all the cr@p you put them through. When Skype went down, they even phoned us internationally to keep the appointments. I didn't think counselling would work but within 2-3 months we were all sorted and that part of my life is now a dim and distant memory.

If anyone out there thinks they need a bit of a hand dealing with a few things 'Hidden Wounds' are incredible. Drop them a line. I'm glad I did.