PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R66 (merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2018, 04:24
FlimsyFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a job for R66

Reuben, I’m an owner and lover of the R66, but have to agree with the comments above. Two bladed machines, and the Robinsons in particular need extremely careful handling in any kind of turbulence, and in my view Alpine altitudes and associated up/down drafts would mean that the weather window for that sort of trip would be very narrow.

Enstrom 480 worth a look, but you’d get into a Squirrel (AS350) for that sort of money, albeit an older model.

Be aware of how many pax and how much baggage you want to carry for the trip, as well as the impact that would have on how much fuel you could take. You may be surprised at how limiting that might be, whichever machine you go for.

Whatever, have your eyes very wide open and don’t dive in - it’s a world where a very costly error in judgement can be just around the corner.

I would think very hard about private jet UK to France and helicopter transfer to Val D’Is. You could do that journey an awful lot of times for 700k, and that’s before you even start with insurance, maintenance, hangarage and all the BS on here.

If you want more info on the R66, PM for honest appraisal!

FF