PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC87 unsafe departure
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2018, 20:37
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdr
Have a look at a certain B744 pax aircraft taking off out of SFO many years back, where coincidentally the flight crew were berated for the engine out path they flew. Given that the aircraft wasn't near its marks anyway, it seems somewhat callous to beef about the crew barely missing the hill.
I remember the UAL 747 out of SFO that had an engine failure and apparently came quite close to San Bruno Mountain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...nes_Flight_863

I have never seen an official report on the incident. According to the linked Wikipedia article, UAL made a video to show its pilots what happened.

My understanding was that rudder was not used properly(or at all to control the aircraft correctly) and aileron only was instead used and therefore, the aircraft came within 100 feet of the mountain. As there is no official report available that I know of, it is interesting what you have possibly attempted to convey with the statement about the incident. Do you have any further detailed information of what happened that could perhaps clear up some possible misinformation out there?

Thanks.