PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan Memories
Thread: Vulcan Memories
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2018, 11:41
morton

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re post #44. I remember the Vulcan at Cottesmore (XM 604) crashing on 30th January 1968. I was working in the ‘Gin Palace’ at the time. The Gin Palace (Electronics Centre) was situated where the large concrete parking area is now, in front of the Hangars.

Walking between Hangars 2 and 3, I was returning to work early one lunch-time (about 12:50) when I saw this Vulcan flying the length of the Runway with Undercarriage down and Bomb Doors open. I was told later that it had returned early from a sortie because of a Bomb Bay Overheat warning (possibly why the bomb bay doors were open?). As it continued towards Oakham it started a gentle level or slightly climbing Left Hand turn. Instead of rolling level when it got downwind, it continued turning and rolling. Just before it disappeared out of view behind a Hangar I believe I saw the Cockpit Canopy or a parachute. Then there was a pall of smoke but no sound of an explosion (to me anyway, but there was a Hangar and a couple of miles between me and the Aircraft).

I also heard later that the Co-Pilot had ejected when the Aircraft had rolled 90 degrees and he sustained a broken arm. The Captain had ejected when the aircraft was almost inverted. His parachute became entangled with Electricity cables and, after a couple of loops round the cables, he unbuckled and dropped a few feet to the ground unharmed. The four in the back were not so lucky. Exiting from a rolling inverted Aircraft in the time available was not possible.

I, and many others, arrived at the scene within 15 minutes and the only recognisable part I saw was the Nose Undercarriage leg. Not being able to do anything there I was volunteered to help control and turn away the number of local people coming to see what had happened. I was surprised that one person was a reporter from the local paper. In pre-internet days and only land lines he did very well to get to this remote location so quickly.

For someone who had only been out of training six months it was a pretty sobering experience. I am glad to say that was the only crash I witnessed during my time in the RAF.