PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does CASA allow twin engine ETOPS operation at all?
Old 30th Jan 2018, 08:54
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by mustafagander
Come on Dick, you're just being silly now. The whole of aviation runs on probability. Think take off data, airspace & separation, the list goes on.
As I understand ETOPS or EDTO, it's about quantifying risk, bringing it under management.
I'm not sure of your angle in this new near pointless thread but I'm sure it will become clear with a bit more waffle.
Life as a professional aviator is all about probability and managing risk when all is said and done.
You’ve left out the cost of “bringing [the quantified risk] under management”.

Let us assume that the cost of mitigating a quantified risk to the safety of air navigation is $1. Let us assume that the cost of mitigating a different quantified risk with the same consequences is $10billion. How can CASA choose to mandate the mitigation of one but not the other, when the safety of air navigation is the most important consideration in the decision? In this example the consequences of each risk are the same.

The safety of air navigation demanded that Dominic James not be reinstated to ATPL command privileges. The cost to him was completely irrelevant. Or so CASA said.