PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leap & CFM56
Thread: Leap & CFM56
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2018, 08:01
Yan104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

With a little delay because I have been busy lately, I thank you for your interesting interventions. I resume the content point by point again:

• BluSdUp

The production of the CFM 56 will be on for the next 15 years for sure. With that many air-frames needing new engines before frame is scraped.

I never fly aircraft older then 10 years, and every so often I see an " old " one with one new engine. The rate of production is hard to tell this early.

Are You asking because You work for the Manufacturer"
Alas I could not join the aeronautics sector although I was dying for it, and so I do not work at any engine manufacturer ... But as I am eagerly documenting on the world of civil aviation and airplanes, their designs, their operations etc ... it comes to me questions about articles that I read in specialized magazines ... I agree with you that the presence of the CFM56 will last at least a fortnight. years if not longer with the life of the 737 NG, the 737 MAX begin barely marketing them.

• tdracer

You cite as an example one of my favorite engines the JT8D, which I knew during my childhood in the 80s, certainly noisy, greedy and well-known by pilots by their soft in terms of thrust !! ... So you confirm that the withdrawal CFM56 will most likely occur with the final withdrawal of 737NG which I think will not happen before 2 good decades, not counting their re-circulation through the second-hand market.
I understood from your explanations that some reactors are re-conditioned either for a return to service or to serve as spare parts, I also heard of a second-hand market and renting even for engines, could anyone tell me how it works? Is it not highly regulated for obvious security reasons, and if so which institution controls it? Can engine manufacturers not oversee such a market to avoid dubiously deadly contraband?

• TangoAlphad

I suspected that there would be difficulties reengineering the 737NG by Leap given the modifications it imposed on the 737MAX, which were anyway part of a global evolution scheme of this family of aircraft ... So the Leap for Boeing will remain dedicated to the 737 MAX, but will not pose I think re-motorization problem for the A320 ceo already adapted to large diameter engines and with the origin of landing gear lower than the previous generations of 737 ... With all the same some reserve on the medium-term existence of the A320 ceo of the first series (produced between 88 and 92) which exceed the mid-life currently ...

To conclude with regard to the maintenance and the availability of spare parts for devices whose production lines were stopped, I thought of the solution of their production on the maintenance sites of the airlines yet with the modeling machines 3D. It would be possible according to manufacturers' standards to reproduce a perfect copy and perhaps even with improved materials of these parts ... Nevertheless the problem that would arise would be that of their approval in short time by the FAA and manufacturers, a dedicated service should be created and put in place a fast coordination between the maintenance services of companies and these institutions: what do you think?