PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-FWGH 738 slow take off BFS : AAIB
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2018, 07:57
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jack11111
Why a certified, calibrated accelerometer is not part of a modern jet aircraft instrument panel I'll never understand. It's a bottom line performance indicator.

I imagine most PF would consult it at about 80 knots on short runways take-offs. No?
I did propose just a system back in the 80s, called it TOPIS, take off performance indicator system.

My proposal was published in the nascent International Journal of Air Safety about 1982. With current avionics it should be easily attainable, another gap plugged. Haven't forgotten the Emirates near disaster at Melbourne some years ago as a result of T/O calculations being based on weight 100 t below actual.

We DID have an acceleration check to 100 knots on the V force (Valiants and Victors in my case) so was quite surprised that there was no such procedure when I came onto the VC10 in civil aviation.

If, as I believe, aircraft such as the 380 can warn crew that the intended runway is too short for the intended landing then an acceleration check system should be easy. Just a bug moving around the asi to show just what speed should be attained ar any point on the take off. Rather like the bugs on the Concorde ASI showing the required speed for the C of G position.

I still think it will come eventually.

Still remember briefing new pilots in my time as TC that if there is ANY doubt at all about TO acceleration with reduced thrust just push the levers to the stops, the engines will take it without any problem!