PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement Age for Pilots
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2018, 22:59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Scribble

Know your law.

The law accepts Objective Justifications which, in certain circumstances, allow a compulsory retirement age. Age being the only one of the nine ‘protected characteristics’ to which OJs apply.

Ageing has a deleterious effect on humans. Not only is a compulsory retirement age recognised as acceptable in law, in specified circumstances. It is also common sense.

Though I accept, some of our elderly will not like it.

If you really MUST continue earning beyond 65, move to a state that allows elderly pilots, or find a job that is less critical to the safety of the flying public.

Heathrow Harry

1912 was an interesting year. Only 9 years after the Wright brothers at Kittyhawk, I imagine the majority of ‘pilots’ were airship (derigible) pilots? Certainly it was the year of the creation of the RFC, and the first US Marine Corps pilot commenced training. Some were struggling to fly across the English Channel in a time of around 60 minutes. The World Altitude record was around 13,000’!

I imagine it also preceded ATC since Mr Marconi had only invented a very heavy, and primitive radio set in 1895.

My, how the demands on our steely eyed aviators have changed!

Last edited by 4468; 29th Jan 2018 at 23:36.