PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2018, 20:51
CurtainTwitcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think FWA is going to protect you? There is already precedent with the Qantas group for domestic work by overseas based crew. They have a plan to circumvent inconvenient legislation. Note also that a NZ resident is entitled to work within Australia, unlike Thai or Singaporeans so they won't even have to use the fig leaf of an international tag.

Rural Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee
04/11/2011

Senator XENOPHON: The complaint that has been put to me from overseas based flight attendants and from those who work for Jetstar here in Australia is that these flight attendants, whilst they're nominally based in Thailand or Singapore or another base, for example, actually spend most of their time within Australia flying either around Australia or in and out of Australia. What is your knowledge of those practices?

Ms Neeteson-Lemkes : My knowledge of those practices is that they are definitely flying within our domestic network. They are doing accommodations of four Melbourne returns six days in a row.

Senator XENOPHON: Are they tagged as international flights?

Ms Neeteson-Lemkes
: They are tagged in that the aircraft starts in the domestic area. I will give you an example. The aircraft might start in Sydney and go to Darwin, where the cabin crew will get off. That aircraft, however, will continue on to Singapore, Manila or Denpasar. The foreign cabin crew get off, overnight in a hotel, and complete domestic sectors back and forth.

Senator XENOPHON: So they are effectively on domestic flights?

Ms Neeteson-Lemkes : Correct.

Senator XENOPHON: They leave from a domestic terminal?

Ms Neeteson-Lemkes : Correct.

Senator XENOPHON: You do not have to go through Customs?

Ms Neeteson-Lemkes : No.

Senator XENOPHON: Years ago I went on an internationally tagged flight but you had to clear through Customs even though it was a domestic flight. There is none of that?

Ms Neeteson-Lemkes : No.