PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navy / Army / AF pilot height restrictions?
Old 29th Jan 2018, 15:30
Olympia 463

Hmm. Let me tell you a tale about the RAF and height. In 1950 I was an engineering undergraduate and I applied to join the University Air Squadron. I was sent for the medical and aptitude tests, and passed them A1. I also passed the interview. That year there were more suitable applicants than places, so I had to do the 'white line test' which took place in the gymnasium where a white line had been painted on the floor next to a wall.You sat with your bum as close the wall as you could get it, and if your feet were beyond this line you were out. My feet were beyond the line. It appears that at that time training in the UAS was in Harvards which had an awkward seat adjustment if you were tall!! It saved them time if they didn't have to fiddle with the seats. I was given a chit to be given to the recruiting people when I was called up for compulsory military service, which said they were to send me straight to Cranwell to be trained as a pilot.

Alas, I never got there. On completion of my degree in 1954 (I got a First) and a graduate apprenticeship with Rolls-Royce Aero Engines I was transferred to their Special Projects design team in Derby to work on the Conway as an aircraft engine designer, and thus permanently deferred from military service! I did learn to fly later at my own expense.

I am only 183cm BTW.