PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaning for Best Power?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2018, 07:10
StickWithTheTruth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're below the maximum factory / engine manufacturer recommendations, then it's really a decision for you as the owner in discussions with your trusted LAME on how best to handle your engine for longevity.

Similarly I was up on Saturday when it was 34 degrees. My hottest CHT hit 160c at 3,500ft which is my ideal maximum and my alarm is set at. I wanted to lower it so I leveled off without reducing power and nothing happened. I then backed off to cruise RPM and waited around 1 minute for it to lower and it dropped by 12deg c. I then continued climbing at full power and it didn't go up more than a few degrees. I find the CHT is all about airflow / airspeed. If you're worried about it being too high, level off, increase airspeed, reduce power and wait. If the engine isn't working as hard, the CHT's will *generally* be lower. I wonder if many pilots notice that a more coarse prop will lower CHT's for the same reason?

Maybe those smarter than I can comment on "cruise climbing" and if it's a good or a bad thing...