PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pegasus Airlines Boeing 737-800 TC-CPF overrun runway at Trabzon. All pax okay
Old 28th Jan 2018, 21:32
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurus
The solution is easily resolved by following the advice recommended in the Children of the Magenta Line video.

And that is "CLICK CLICK" disengage the autopilot and if appropriate the autothrottle, and without delay manually recover the situation to get back to the desired heading/course/whatever. Whatever actions take place after that depends on pilot discretion.
ATP(L) for 20 years, 20 years flying, from turboprops without any AP/FD/AT to the (current) A320. I do the T/O without FD/AT on any T/O when possible (non-RNAV SID), I normally go AP/AT off latest passing 10K in the descend and weather/approach permitting FD off as well.

Yes, I have saved a few situations by losing the automation and going back to green needles, but I think in the vast majority of "what is it doing now?" while on automation a more appropriate reaction is:
-first, make sure the right mode is selected
-if that is not it, go back to basic mode (HDG/VS/SPD on the bus)
-if that doesn't work Click Click.

Off course if you find yourself diving to the ground and only have a second to recover it is different. Most of the time if you find yourself in a situation where you are not sure where the AP is going to, and switch everything off, you are making life much harder for your other crew member, who now has to solve the puzzle all by himself while talking to ATC, as you are going to be busy keeping the blue side up to do anything else useful.

Especially on the bus, unless you are already on an ILS switching the AP of doesn't really help much because you still have to follow the FD (there is no CDI in RNAV and nowadays you are not normally on any radial, if you have to follow the FD you are better of having the AP on as well...

Just my opinion.