PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio alerting failures – happening any more?
Old 28th Jan 2018, 20:31
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
CaptainMidknight:
Perhaps its time you - and a few others here - visited an ATSC.

ATC air situation displays and Tower TSADs don't have a geo/topo base map such as VTC or ERC. To reduce clutter they have a base "mud map", with published VFR and IFR points and routes etc. relevant to the operating position. Aviation maps available on overhead displays or the console. Ditto for ATC around the world.

So obscure places not marked on aviation charts such as you gave are unlikely to be known by ATC nor - importantly - other aircraft listening who may be traffic.

But I suspect you well knew that and sadly would have left a great impression of GA pilots with ATC and listeners.
Thank you for your sarcastic and biting reply, which just about sums up everything I dislike about so called "Aviation Professionals".

To reply to your observation. Your reply regarding the workings of an ATSC makes perfect sense, as does Aerocats reference to a high speed jet visiting an airfield, possibly for the first time.

However your rude assertion "you well knew that" is incorrect. I didn't know that. I wasn't taught that, nor was it ever explained (including the reasoning) to me until now. I don't know if its in the syllabus. If it was, it certainly wasn't brought to my attention, ever.

Furthermore to someone who was trained at YMMB , where the VFR reporting points are all place names associated with obvious landmarks and there is a very accommodating and patient tower staff, it isn't obvious that the tower doesn't know your reference point.

For the record, Point Henry (not pt richards) is the site of the Geelong Aluminium refinery which is certainly visible. I could have perhaps said "leopold" which is a VFR waypoint nearby.

Perhaps the syllabus needs a section on 'target designation" as we used to call it.