PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin ATR grounded in Canberra
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2018, 08:16
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's obviously a second theme running here, as evidenced by people who appear to be VARA pilots posting about possible "issues" within their own C&T system.

Fair enough.

I would like to put my P.O.V. re: Cadets vs. experienced pilots in the RHS.

I spent around 25 years in the Army. Mainly reserves, but also went on the odd operational deployment. I've been staff on countless training courses, ranging from recruit courses, through to training Ares and ARA soldiers in all kinds of Green army and SF courses. My last deployment was being part of a team where we trained Coalition forces (U.S. and Iraqi) in various aspects of Counter Insurgency warfare.

There is a saying in the military:

"There is no such thing as a bad soldier. There are only bad trainers, NCO's and officers."

What that means is that a pilot in an airline is a product of his or her C&T system. There is NO REASON why a 300 hour pilot shouldn't be in the RHS of an ATR, Dash, 737 or A320. Provided that they are trained correctly.

This happens all around the world, particularly in places like Europe and Asia where there isn't a GA industry to supply large volumes of high time applicants.

If the training that a pilot receives at VARA focusses more on procedures, being "word perfect" in checklist responses, etc. rather than on FLYING THE AIRCRAFT you will continue to see incidents and accidents like this happen.

My 2c.

DIVOSH!