PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Law UK Vs Other EASA State questions
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:32
PelicanSquawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the reply, I got the information from the skyway code cap 1535, 2017 edition. It says:

“Flight visibility in F/G airspace: where permitted by a member state this may be reduced to 1500m if flying by day, insight of the surface and at 140kts IAS of less. In the UK this is permitted in class g airspace”.

So I understand this, I just want to make sure the questions asked in the UK version of the ppl law exam will reflect the UK rules?

Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
The first thing to say is that it is important to ensure that you are studying using an up to date source. It appears that you may not be doing so.

The ICAO minima that determines VMC is 1500 metres, VFR minima is also 1500 metres.

Countries (states) can chose to restrict their pilot licence privileges further. The UK used to restrict the PPL to a minima of 3K and the NPPL to 5K and always to be in sight of the surface. Since EASA this is no longer the case.

Licence privileges are now aligned with the ICAO minima (EASA is compliant with ICAO in this regard).

So flight below 3000ft and 140kts;

VMC minima 1500 metres
VFR minima 1500 metres
CPL/PPL/NPPL minima 1500 metres

When the meteorological conditions are below 1500 metres then the condition is IMC and only flight in accordance with IFR is permitted.

VMC, VFR and PPL privileges within controlled airspace will vary according to the class of airspace.