PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin ATR grounded in Canberra
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2018, 19:58
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scifi

I didn't miss it. If every time there was a heavy landing due
turbulence and changing wind conditions
the worlds fleet of airliners would be grounded weekly.

As I've said (more than once) I've flown that approach a few times. There is ALWAYS "turbulence and changing wind conditions" on approach to Canberra, even on a day with light and variable winds. I can guarantee that a 16 knot NE wind will give a crew plenty of work on final, but it's not that unusual.

The METAR winds of the day do not support your theory of a 22 knot wind change, and I would suggest to you that if that kind of wind set was active in Canberra at the time (and it does) there would be NOTAMS for moderate/severe turbulence below 8000', and there would be turbulence and/or undershoot/overshoot shear advices on the ATIS, none of which appeared to be present on the day.

Have you flown a heavy turboprop? Are you aware of what happens to aircraft performance when the power levers are placed "near flight idle"? (God forbid when in the landing configuration)

The report states that the FO reacted to the increased airspeed and reduced the power levers to "near flight idle" approximately 9 seconds before landing and then didn't touch them for over five seconds.

That is a recipe for disaster!

DIVOSH!