PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 26th Jan 2018, 15:43
walbut

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Although the HSE cannot prosecute the MoD, even in the event of a fatal accident, it is very surprising to me that they have not censured them, which they are at liberty to do. I agree with many of the posters in this thread, it seems much more of the liability for this tragic accident lies with MoD, rather than Martin Baker.

From a vendor aspect, the situation with regard to service bulletins on Hawk equipment could be confusing. Every export Hawk instruction would normally go through BAe Systems to the customer. However since the UK MoD dealt directly with Martin Baker on all aspects of the T Mk 1 seat design and mod standard, BAe Systems would not try to read across the export instructions to the T Mk 1 and advise MoD as they would assume MoD had been sent an equivalent instruction directly from Martin Baker. Whether Martin Baker did that and it went missing in MoD I have no idea.

I have to confess I cannot remember seeing the equivalent export service bulletin but someone in Flight Systems or Airworthiness at Brough could probably find a copy with my signature on the covering form.

Walbut