PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin ATR grounded in Canberra
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2018, 22:58
maui

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree with Di_Vosh. Aviation in a great part of the world, would not function without the supply of ab-initio /low time RHS'ers, (Cadets if you will)

Having had the fortune to observe operations of such nature, I can attest to the success and viability of such operations, however I would question the need for such, in the Australian environment. Where there is an adequate supply of suitable pilots in the open market, why do we need to feed an oversupply by way of cadetships.

That said: with a professional, well resourced, dedicated training organisation in control, and with careful selection of appropriately experienced and trained Captains, risks are mitigated and suitable outcomes achieved.

Myself, and many similarly experienced colleagues, have conducted jet operations with 300 hour graduates into complex airspace, in weather conditions not experienced in this country, to conduct all manner of approaches (including ASR and PAR) without significant incident.

If the prior training is comprehensive and competent, and the LHS is appropriately experienced and trained, it works. Any suggestion that such operations in Australia are having problems because of the experience level of the RHS, ignores the success of overseas operations, and places blame in the wrong lap.

my 2c worth
Maui