PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Refuelling near thunderstorms
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2003, 15:23
Perpetual_Hold_File

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dilution of facts through personal interpretation?

Is that right?

The only person diluting their facts with personal interpretation is you chocks away.

Before you make sweeping unsubstantiated claims against what I say, how about backing yourself up because you have left yourself wide open.

And no, I wont use my memory either to back up my "stories".

Here is where I get my "personal" interpretation. You decide if it has been "diluted"

From amta.org (australian mobile telecommunications association)-

21 July 2003

Claims that mobile phones have caused fires at petrol stations are an urban myth, the Australian Mobile Telecommunications Association (AMTA) said today.

AMTA CEO Graham Chalker said the myth originates from a hoax email ‘warning’, which often falsely claims to be from Shell Chemicals and includes a number of completely fictitious incidents.

“Mobile phones do not cause petrol stations to blow up. In fact there is no evidence whatsoever that a mobile phone has ever caused an explosion at a petrol station anywhere in the world,” Mr Chalker said.

Shell UK said in a letter to the mobile phone industry last year that “the email is from a non-Shell source and that the originating email was an Internet hoax. This would indicate that the three cases being referred to are completely fictitious… Shell has no knowledge of any specific incident of ignition that occurred as a result of using a mobile phone on forecourts”.

“The email ‘warning’ was originally sent to a Shell employee based in Jamaica as an email attachment. Without checking the authenticity of the incidents they then forwarded the email to various employees and external agencies. It has spiralled from this one source and was linked to Shell by the original senders email address,” Mr Chalker said.

“This urban myth has been around for years and many media outlets, including in Australia, inadvertently continue to report it as fact.

Link here

And more evidence to support my "personal interpretation". This is a link to a study "Investigation of the Potential for Wireless Phones to Cause Explosions at Gas Stations" (2001) and I quote once again:

To conclude, research into the cell phone – gas station issue provided virtually no evidence to suggest that cell phones pose a hazard at gas stations. In fact, there has never been a confirmed incident implicating a cell phone at a gas station anywhere in the world.

the whole report is
here should you like to make your own personal interpretation.

So mr chocks away, it is quite amazing isn't it?
You can even read about the hoax email that started the whole thing here at urbanlegends.com

Urbanlegends

So get YOUR facts right, don't insult me with egotistical preaching about "profession", get off your "self righteous" high horse, crawl back into your hole and keep your mouth shut about things you have no knowledge about.

I do believe that that is strike three- YOU'RE OUT!

Last edited by Perpetual_Hold_File; 21st Sep 2003 at 18:33.