PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio alerting failures – happening any more?
Old 25th Jan 2018, 03:21
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Back Seat Driver
Sunfish, the diff between amateur and professional (broadly speaking VFR v IFR) is important because we speak a different language.
Position 69dme 142 radial ABC tracking to ABCSI for the RVAV Z is a definitive position in IFR speak but gibberish to the VFR driver as is "about to cross Farmer Brown's top paddock near the sheep dip" is to me. I don't have the charts and at 4-8 miles/minute and possibly still in IMC, I don't have the time.
On the other hand the IFR pilot would not say the words above in Class G. Noting that it is likely that there are VFRs about and the often confusion in what some pilots say, it would be far better to say: "position 69 miles south east tracking for instrument approach runway xx via a 10 mile final" or something similar. The VFR pilot should also use position language that can be interpreted by the IFR pilot, such a quadrant and distance from a known point.

As another poster said a while back whilst IFR's talk Martian the VFR's talk Venusian. At NO time should the GNNS waypoint names be used in class G. It is far better to use distance in miles and quadrants to indicate position which can be interpreted by all users and is less prone to error. Never use radials as they are often 180 out and cannot be trusted, even for some IFR's!