PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 24th Jan 2018, 02:49
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Lots to answer...

Tucumseh.

When I said “give it a rest” I was not referring to the broader discussion of airworthiness. I was referring to the “it wouldn’t have happened in my day” brigade. I have no problem with your discussion.

BEagle.

I have been flying on MB seats constantly since 2001. Since day one I have been taught to insert the seat pan and internal canopy handle pins during taxi back (stopping if necessary especially as an inexperienced pilot) and visually check them. The MDC unit pin is inserted after egress.

Newer aircraft also have a PINS caption on the CWP to indicate if the pin is inserted with the canopy closed.

Until recently (coincidence) we would also unstrap whilst taxiing. That practice has now ceased (which I disagree with).

Also remember that newer Hawks are able to taxi with the canopy open.

Retired BA/BY

I respect your experience but we did this to death a few pages ago.

I cannot tell you who made the change to procedures but somewhere between you retiring from the RAF and me joining, it happened.

It would not have been done on a whim and the same CFS that you and BEagle remember would have carefully reviewed the procedures.

Personally, I don’t want to be strapped into a live seat after landing. I can count several instances where crew (including myself) have had to perform an emergency egress where having the seat safe made for a quicker and safer exit.

FRCs will state during the emergency egress drills as item 1:

Seat pin...insert

I would argue that the chances of screwing that up are far higher when you are trying to exit in a hurry than they are during the taxi back.

Our opinions clearly differ but they are both based on what we were taught. A touch of confirmation bias for both of us perhaps?

I can assure you and BEagle that pins discipline has always been rigorously enforced and always will be.

Airpolice.

I have no beef with you but, please, grow up.

BGG.

Thankyou!

Did I miss anyone?!

BV