PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Times details proposed UK defence cut options
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 07:44
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
I did find his speech quite good, though rapid and driving everywhere did seem to be at odds with each other, it's all ok if your future conflict is in a handy close at hand landmass, but a road trip to Afghanistan would have been neither rapid nor practical, your other problem is getting agreement from every other country on route to allow your Army to pass through.
The rapid deployment also seems to falter if the helicopter force is chopped as the original post suggested, you cannot rapidly move equipment, supply's and manpower around a battlefield without them.
I do wonder how he is going to get this rapid deployment to the likes of an incursion into say Latvia if they take out bridges, rail and road infrastructure. The road from Kuwait back to Iraq comes to mind.
His comments about how well Germany did this during WW2 got me thinking, Germany's early success with blitzkrieg had a different scenario, Germany was attacking, therefore the fleeing populace was moving away from you making rapid advancement possible, when you are moving to defend surely you are bogged down by the road network being blocked by those fleeing towards you.