PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding in a 777, 747 etc...Can it be done.?
Old 12th Aug 2001, 12:35
MasterGreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
patrickal

Nice of you to use the word "calculations" but I am not bright enough for that by far. All my numbers are ex simulator practise.

That said, as far as I can figure the numbers I stated above are for a windmilling motor. You comment about the stalled / static N1 is valid and is an added complication. However I thought of this when I ran it through the systems and the SIM at least gave me enough spare to allow the technique as written enough flex to make it down.

The question about glide angle is valid (on the face of it), but I would caution restraint in comparing a 200,000 Kg swept wing 777 with a Blanik or a Plastic Pig (Astir) . Sure you have a couple of 9 ft windmilling fans and a RAT hanging out, but there is a an awfull lot of potential energy there that needs burning off.

300+ ft per mile is not a problem clean (zero wind) and as I mentioned - get into a 400ft / mile profile before you dump flap to 5. This is easy as .....

I am not trying to invent an SOP here. I am just trying to float a few ideas. Get into the box and try it. What I proposed works for me, but if you have a better mouse trap - I am first in the queue. Gimme.....

MG

[ 12 August 2001: Message edited by: MasterGreen ]