PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passengers unwell on flight to NY?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 11:45
A0283

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a number of factors and combinations that can create similar effects. To systematically separate these we would need far more detailed reports (as I suggest in my #8 post in this thread).

#12 (permalink) suninmyeyes's Avatarsuninmyeyes ... Many years ago we had a flight where all the cabin crew were feeling a bit sick, nauseous or dizzy and a few passengers too. It turned out to be a yaw damper fault resulting in a very small but continuous dutch rolling movement. Those who were standing up had their sense of balance affected more, hence the high percentage of cabin crew affected.
Low frequency movements in the below 1 Hz ranges can have that effect, yes. A similar example is a case where the crew could not get the A/P on, flew manual upto say FL200. And unintentionally introduced a low Hz motion. Such motion also affects the mind by the way. It should be possible to construct a scenario where you can create similar symptoms in POBs with hypoxia and motion for a period of time during a flight ... after effects can be felt one or more days after in both cases. But note that effects can be different for each person, or say groups of persons. Discussing long term effects is (even) more difficult and lacks even more useable data.

#13 (permalink) Mozella's AvatarMozella , 22nd Jan 2018 07:21Quote: Originally Posted by Aireps.. Lack of oxygen? The tracking sites show this flight at FL330 on its return leg to AMS. No sign of an emergency descent to FL100. Lack of oxygen would affect all on board, not just 7 pax and 8 crew.
You may believe that and I may believe that. Scientists and engineers believe it too; however, not everyone does.
When I was a TWA Captain I remember the flight attendant's union filing a complaint that we 767 pilots were diverting oxygen to the cockpit and thus we were intentionally starving the cabin of the oxygen they deserved. It made them tired and irritable. Many, if not most, of our F/A's believed it.
When you have a design that feeds the cockpit with bleed air directly. And feed the cabin a combination of bleedair and air recirculated through the cargo hold. Then you ve got two separate flows, with a different mix. So if you had any issue in the cargo hold for example that would generate a difference. So nothing intentional from the pilots. But the FAs could be right for the wrong reasons ..for some of the flights ... And maybe some ac types or versions.

What I suggest in my post #8 is that to separate the multitude of both symptoms and causes, we would need much better (public) data AND (because so much is unclear at this stage) cases that give clear and specific situational and technical differences. For example, if Mozella's case only played in the 767 and not the 757 or 777, then such a case at this stage would be much more interesting and helpful than a case which just says 'Boeing aircraft...'... Boeing being just an example.

Last edited by A0283; 22nd Jan 2018 at 20:40.