PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-FWGH 738 slow take off BFS : AAIB
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 11:44
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it does, yes we do.

But it still won't tell if it is wrong, if the wrong temp is inserted in both EFB & FMC. If there is some kind of x-check that the ATIS OAT is inserted in the boxes you may pick up an error. But no pilot should be content to attempt to takeoff with <90%. That's gut feeling at least; surely. nd it's 2 pilots who stopped thinking, not just one.
What has dismayed me is the dilution of basic airmanship in TR courses for cadets. The rapid expansion of young airlines has needed qualified bums on seats up front PDQ. Guys leaving after a few years experience faster than they can be replaced, and the expansion covered as well. Fair enough, you pass the LST, but the education then stops. SOP's designed for trained monkeys and then 3-4 years later you are sitting in LHS with not much to pass on to the newbie in RHS. Both of you are locked onto an SOP train line where you hope there will be no sharp bends, overheated this or that and definitely no 'wrong kind of leaves' on the line. Previously you would have waited and served an apprenticeship for 7 years in RHS, seen a lot and hopefully soaked up and learnt a great deal. You had the confidence that you could handle the a/c on an ideal day, lead the crew, manage the operation and cope with a few hiccups without having to think SOP first & airmanship/common sense second.