PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2018, 20:20
Transall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by typerated
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-l...KBN1F82SY?il=0

I thought they might go with Dassault - and it is still possible but less likely.

I find the numbers amazing - the have dropped from buying 160 F-16's and still operating a wing of Mirages to 34 airframes! The Dutch have pretty much the same ratio of depletion.

Same rate of decay and it will be toss up whether you can count the number of replacements of the F-35 on one hand or not!

Hi,

Typerated, I'm not aiming to upset you, but the RAF's depletion is not a lot different.
In describing us as having bought 160 F-16's and still operating a Mirage Wing, you are talking about 1989-1992. The second batch of F-16's replaced the Florennes Mirages in early 1989, leaving only Bierset with Mirages.
Back in 1989, the RAF had the Buccaneer force at Lossiemouth, the Phantom AD force, the Tornado's (about 350 GR and F2/F3 delivered or on order), the Jaguars and the Harriers.
Since one squadron of our Mirages were PR aircraft, I might also mention your Canberra's. I seem to remember they could gather 40 operational Canberra's for a 40th anniversary of the first flight party in 1989.

We were very pleased with our F-16's and SABCA got a good deal. This made the second batch possible.
Maybe 34 won't be our final number this time either.

Best regards, Transall.