PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comair Flies Low
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2003, 23:18
George Tower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kulula and Comair whats the problem

This post is particularly for Tailspin and THH.

Kulula is +/- 3 years old. In that time they have gone from having 1 x B727 doing the FACT-FAJS run to having upped their frequencies and massively expanded their routes so that FADN, FAPE, and FAGG are now served from FAJS and also a FACT-FADN service as well. Now that is what I call a healthy rate of expansion.

If Comair is so bad for Kulula as both of you seem to intimate then how much more routes/frequencies do you think they should be flying. The market in SA simply isn't as big as that of the UK and western europe to expect them to perform like Easyjet, Go and Ryanair.

In having the BA franchise and Kulula, Comair has covered both ends of the market reasonably successfully so it seems. As an analogy consider the differences between a restaurant such as Blues in Cape Town and the Spur. Both are successful businesses serving good food but one is the kind of place you'd go for culinary excellence the other if you just couldn't be arsed cooking and fancied a filling meal.

Who knows what the future will hold but I'm pretty sure that the low cost end of the market will show the most growth but I still fail to see why that will be a problem for Comair. On the contrary I think it will be good news but bad news for SAA and Nationwide. We should also remember that Comair's expansion has been due in no small part to them having the BA franchise.