PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Queensland
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2003, 21:46
jezbowman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far guys. Looks like Gymie isn't much of an airfield. The only reason for picking it was to get some nice views of the mountains and lakes on track from Archerfield (mt Langley and Lake somerset for example). I might just make it a fuel stop then, and then get upto Fraser Island.

With regards Fraser Island - Eurong Beach resorts website claims that they have a 900m+ landing strip (tarmac/asphalt) thats a short 4WD ride to the complex. Has no one heard about that or used it? I fired them an e-mail but haven't had any response. I'm not too sure about the idea of landing on a beach full of people and cars, sounds a little risky and the a/c's owner probably wouldn't want me doing it!

I already ordered some maps and stuff a while back when I first started planning. I ended up with a load of IFR maps (ERC's) but of most use is the Brisbane VTC which goes as far noth as Gympie (covering Maroochydore) and far enough south to cover Coolangata. BUT what chart can I use for VFR navigation beyond the VTC (that includes Fraser I)?

When I ordered the Maps I also ordered the CASA VFR guide (ringbound book, dated Sept 2001, perhaps out of date) which covers MBZ/CTAF and GAAP procedures. Seems easy enough. I also got the Archerfield Visual Pilot Guide which discusses entry/exit routes and circuit joining procedures. I like the little pictures of VRP's - excellent. I could probably get a copy of the ERSA now and have it before I go (still four weeks yet!). The maps and stuff came within a week (from Downunder Pilot Shop). Or has ASA got a reputation for being slow? Is there anything else I need?

The other question I have is regarding Danger areas. Generally dangers areas in the UK get avoided at all time unless you have someone to speak to regarding it's operation (usually a military controller regarding an fireing range for example). But if in OZ you are often not speaking to anyone, just monitoring a frequency (like say BN CEN) how do you get a clearance to enter the danger area. For example it's just one massive danger area pretty much from half way from Coolangata back to Archerfield, and the VFR entry lane starts in the danger area?!?

I also read the rule regarding wearing life jackets for an overwater flight (other than an approach to land or taking off). Would that apply for the short transit section between Bald Point and Moreton Island?

No worries regarding to reports and photos - I can't wait and there will be loads of them! Thanks for your feedback so far!